The A-Z guide to successful manuscript submissions
Ace the submission process by becoming an expert in author guidelines
What will you learn?
- Primary duties of and best practices for the corresponding author
- Permissions requirements for previously published work, images, and videos in different countries
- The importance of knowing author guidelines and editorial processes
- Introduction to and advantages of online manuscript submissions
- Deep dive into Article Processing Charges (APC), including payments and copyright
- How APC requirements can help to identify predatory publishers and journals
- Learn about the initial screening stage and how editors assess your manuscript
- The editorial production workflow, editor roles and how to communicate with them
- What happens to your manuscript post peer review and how you should respond
- How to typeset content for electronic platforms, including metadata, HTML, and XML
- The proofing process and how to differentiate between different versions of your manuscript
- Best practices for submitting corrections to the editor before your paper is published
- Introduction to a typical copyright transfer agreement (CTA) and your rights under it
- Introduction to the six different types of Creative Commons licenses
While submitting manuscripts, it’s important to
have a complete understanding of the publication process. Knowing how the
manuscript submission and journal publication process works will not only help
you streamline the submission process but will also aid acceptance.
You’ll learn more about the importance of
following author guidelines, the role of various editors and the editorial
board, and what happens at and after the peer review stage. You will also
understand how to decode author publication charges and avoid predatory
publishers, handle copyrights and Creative Commons Licenses as an author, and
typeset your content for online submissions.
This course has 13 modules, each consisting of an educational video, a module-specific multiple-choice question to check your understanding, and additional resources on the topic. By the end of this course, you’ll be able to handle and know what to expect at each step of the manuscript submission process, which will go a long way in helping you maximize your chance of publishing success.
Richard Threlfall authored this course when he was a Product Manager with the Wiley Lab Solutions group. He worked there for over 7 years, developing synthesis planning and spectroscopy
software for chemists. He holds a PhD in Organic Chemistry from the University of Liverpool, and was also the Editor-in-Chief of Asian Journal of Organic Chemistry from 2012-2016. Currently, he is a Data Engineer and Lead KNIME Developer at Innovate UK.
Are you an early career researcher seeking to improve your research writing skills? Are you an established researcher who wants to better understand the scholarly publishing landscape? Wiley Researcher Academy has the tools you need to navigate the publishing process and increase your chances of achieving a successful publishing outcome.
Written and presented by a global network of journal editors and industry experts from Wiley's prestigious scientific publishing portfolio, Wiley Researcher Academy provides an authoritative source of training and enablement to help researchers at any level achieve their full potential.