Scientific Writing Best Practices for Researchers
Learn international writing conventions and techniques and make your manuscript submission-ready for top scientific journals with writing tips, advice, and guidelines from one of the industry’s leading publishers.
What will you learn?
- Writing a good scientific story that journal editors want to publish
- How to locate and follow your target journal’s guidelines
- How to structure and format your paper based on writing best practices
- Using the IMRaD structure to write and present your paper sequentially
- Things to keep in mind while developing a writing strategy
- How you can tackle a writer’s block and write iteratively
- The best way to check spelling errors while writing and reviewing your paper
- How to write formally and the importance of consistent vocabulary
- How to write a crisp paper without missing any important information
- How to improve your paper’s readability and comprehensibility
- The correct use of tenses, punctuation, and connectors
- Understanding syntax and semantics to avoid ambiguity in your paper
- How to optimize your paper for major search engines
- Identifying most commonly used words in scientifically indexed literature
- How to translate your paper from your native language to English
- Understanding the importance of feedback for publication success
Academic writing is precise and targeted to a specific readership. When you’re drafting an academic manuscript, adopting standard conventions of scientific writing while also ensuring that your research has an engaging story, will not only improve the chances of your manuscript passing through desk screening but will impress journal editors too.
In this course, you’ll learn all about the international standards and conventions of scientiﬁc writing and develop techniques to help you with the writing process. Learn how to structure an article using the IMRaD format, use images for impact, and explain how your research has contributed to your field of study in a way that makes it stand out from the crowd. You’ll also learn how search engines work, how you can optimize your manuscript for them, and make your research rank higher on Google. At the end of the course, you’ll know how to write an engaging, informative, and linguistically superior scientific paper. You’ll also learn how to enhance your word choices, adapt a better tone, format your manuscript perfectly, and more! Each module will be explained via an interactive video followed by a short quiz to help you apply what you’ve learnt and strengthen your understanding.
About the course author
Andrew Moore has a degree in Biochemistry and doctorate/post-doctorate research experience in Structural Studies and Molecular Biology. Andrew has been the Editor-in-Chief of the journal BioEssays and the Wiley Researcher Academy as well as a Program Manager and Editor at the European Molecular Biology Organization. Currently, he is a freelance writer and a writing coach.
Are you an early career researcher seeking to improve your research writing skills? Are you an established researcher who wants to better understand the scholarly publishing landscape? Wiley Researcher Academy has the tools you need to navigate the publishing process and increase your chances of achieving a successful publishing outcome.
Written and presented by a global network of journal editors and industry experts from Wiley's prestigious scientific publishing portfolio, Wiley Researcher Academy provides an authoritative source of training and enablement to help researchers at any level achieve their full potential.