How to develop qualities necessary to succeed as a scientific researcher
Learn expert strategies and best practices to develop your leadership, time management, networking, and other research skills from one of the world’s leading publishers.
What will you learn?
- Using supervisor and student community to develop researcher skills
- The definition and importance of the scientific approach in research
- How to identify and frame your research question effectively
- Key opportunities for communicating your research results
- Identifying research interests and looking for opportunities
- What are the 4 possible career paths available to researchers
- Embracing failure and the importance of resilience in research
- Prioritization, how to work smarter, and the concept of ‘fast failure’
- Building effective networking and leadership skills
- How to ask the right questions to solve research problems
- Understanding the concept of parsimony for testing hypotheses
- 6 Cognitive qualities that successful researchers possess
- Strategies to improve time management and productivity
- How to develop good communication and presentation skills
- Tips for effective teamwork and collaboration
- Identifying 6 common mistakes authors should avoid
- Other inward and outward success strategies for researchers
The key to success in any field is to develop certain personal and interpersonal skills and value-enhancing habits and attitudes in addition to subject area expertise. In this course, you will learn how to make a successful transition from student to researcher by building these and other must-have researcher skills.
You’ll learn all about the characteristics, qualities, and cognitive abilities of a good researcher and how to develop strategies to achieve academic success. This interactive course will help you uncover methods to improve networking, build leadership skills, and become an excellent problem solver. Most importantly, this course will help you identify what kind of research you’re inclined to, and thus, help you choose the right path for future research endeavors. You will also get access to several expertly curated success strategies through 14 video modules, regular assessments, and additional reading material.
Kris Bishop authored this course when he was a Marketing Manager within Wiley Research. He is currently Associate Director, Product Strategy at Science Magazine/American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). Kris is an MBA with more than fourteen years of experience in the publishing industry and a deep understanding of researcher and publisher challenges in academia. Through the years, he has also collaborated extensively with researchers and authors, and spent time working on college-level textbooks, monographs, trade publications, and scientific research journals.
Are you an early career researcher seeking to improve your research writing skills? Are you an established researcher who wants to better understand the scholarly publishing landscape? Wiley Researcher Academy has the tools you need to navigate the publishing process and increase your chances of achieving a successful publishing outcome.
Written and presented by a global network of journal editors and industry experts from Wiley's prestigious scientific publishing portfolio, Wiley Researcher Academy provides an authoritative source of training and enablement to help researchers at any level achieve their full potential.